In this blog post I will try to list out some the rules that I have incorporated in my life over the years. These rules have become a part of my life with experience. As the saying goes, “Experience is the best teacher”, you can learn a lot through personal experience and by observing others as well. These when incorporated in your life/work, can bring about all round improvements. However, these are my rules to live by that may differ from person to person based on their thinking and experience.

“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them – work, family, health, friends and spirit – and you’re keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls – family, health, friends and spirit – are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.”

Bryan Dyson

Prioritize Health

One of the famous proverb “Health is wealth” tells us that one’s health is the greatest wealth. The definition of health is a state of a person’s physical, mental and social well-being. In this materialistic world, there is an increasing lust to earn more and more thus ignoring health. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not difficult if you make small changes as follows;

  • Going early to bed and getting up early in the morning.
  • Morning routine activities like exercises, yoga & meditation.
  • Having a healthy breakfast and a light dinner.
  • Being less sedentary at work.
  • Monitoring weight regularly.

One more point to note is that as we age, preventive care becomes more important. Preventive care means catching potential problems before they become real problems. This includes annual health check up, vaccinations etc.,

Family First

As per one of the famous quote, “Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter”. As we were growing up, our families provided us with the foundation to accomplish our goals. Also it was our families that was with us during the ups and downs of life. Time spent with friends and family is as important as time at work. Also it is important not to get too much involved in your job. At the end of day you need to know that the purpose of your job is to provide a good life for you and your family.

Credibility is the King

Credibility is the quality of being trusted and believed in. Be it in life or work, credibility reflects your values and abilities. One of the famous quote, “Bullshit can get you to the top, but does not let you stay there” tells us that you may fool people for a while but it won’t last forever. Credibility is developed by constant and consistent demonstrated action. If you have credibility you will influence people to listen to you.

Continuous Learning

Continuous learning is a self motivated persistence in acquiring knowledge and competencies over time. This helps in your personal and professional development, thus opening doors to new opportunities and helps achieve your full potential. In this era of rapid technological advancements, you will be left behind if you do not update your skills regularly. On the personal front as well, if you want to bring out the best version of yourself you need to have the learning attitude, be it through online courses, books or life situations. The famous quote, “Don’t go through life, grow through life” tells us to develop the learning attitude in-order to become a better person.

Conscious Living

According to neuroscientists, just 5% of our cognitive activities is consciously done whereas the remaining 95% is performed without us being conscious of them. In other words, we are in the autopilot mode most of the time, wherein we are driven by our minds. Our personality today is a result of our bring up and the surroundings. If we want to change our lives for better we need to change our thoughts. The first step is to start becoming conscious of our unconscious thoughts, notice how we act & feel. For this, there are various tools available that helps to raise the consciousness. A quote from one of the famous mystics, “Handling your life consciously will determine the nature, context and quality of your life” tells us that being conscious can transform your life.

Further Reading :